I tinted some scrapbook paper a barn red color, and stamped on it with a music stamp, then cut out a birdhouse shape. I used the original printed gift bag paper for the roof. Now I need to add some birds and some more leaves - maybe I'll use fabric for those to give it more textural interest and dimension. So far, so good...
Monday, July 30, 2012
A Mixed-Media Experiment WIP
Cloth Paper Scissors magazine, and this found paper seemed like the perfect material for a first layer. I took it home, cut it to fit onto a 12"x 12" stretched canvas, and used gel medium to adhere it on. Then I painted over it with a thin layer of gesso, toweling some of it off to allow the pattern on the bag to show through. Next, I used a natural sea sponge and some acrylic paints (thinned with water) in shades of sky blue, pale green, and yellow to add some background color. Unfortunately, that step, which I neglected to photograph, covered up most of the original bag pattern underneath - oh, well - but I kept going. I used real leaves and various shades of green acrylic paint to make prints in the right upper and lower corners. Then I cut some discarded wallpaper samples to make a tree trunk and branches. I used the gel medium to glue that on, and Mod Podge to glue some leaf-printed tissue paper over the thinner branches. This is how it looks now: