Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Around the Wet Garden

"Rainy Day"

I do not like a rainy day.
The road is wet, the sky is gray.
They dress me up, from head to toes
in lots and lots of rubber clothes.
I wish the sun would come and stay.
I do not like a rainy day.

-William Wise

We've been getting an awful lot of rain lately!  Now that I think about it, it seems that this year, we got all our flowers in April and all the showers May!  But dogs need to be walked, so this afternoon I put on my raincoat and took Cassie out for a wet tour of the garden.  The grass is getting long again, so Cassie is doing her part by nibbling off the tops.  Lots of dogs and cats I've known do this; it must taste good!
And look what we found near the ferns:  Robin eggs.  I do love that particular shade of blue.   I think Cassie would have eaten them if I'd let her!  Maybe the robin parents appreciate the rain for bringing out all the worms so it's easier to fill the gaping beaks of their hungry babies. 

Yes, everything is growing and swelling and bursting with the rain.  Here are some daisies coming up in a corner of the walkway, where plants shouldn't be growing.

 The apple blossoms are already gone, but here are the little apples, already starting to swell.
 And soon the irises will be blooming.
 The strawberries are filling out too.  I guess there are some good things about rain...

"April Rain Song"

Let the rain kiss you.
Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops.
Let the rain sing you a lullaby.
The rain makes still pools on the sidewalk.
The rain makes running pools in the gutter.
The rain plays a little sleep-song on our roof at night.
And I love the rain.

-Langston Hughes

No comments: