Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Hibernating




















Don't you wish you could hibernate? Lately, napping is my idea of fun; must be the single-digit temperatures and list of chores and errands that are decidedly NOT fun. Just give me a flannel comforter and good book... Ahh! That's what I call fun!

Perhaps now would be a good time to elaborate on my theory about the differences between cats and dogs. They are very similar, both being furry, lovable, popular four-footed pets. But I am discovering the differences are vast.

The first major difference you may notice upon meeting a dog or cat is the way they view another's personal space. Cats have definite physical boundaries that they will cross when they know you well and feel comfortable with you. A cat may not wish to have her physical space invaded the first time you meet her, and may appear standoffish, unfriendly or shy. Dogs, on the other hand, have no qualms about jumping all over you and enthusiastically licking your face even on the first meeting. They gladly sniff your shoes, hands, and private parts whether you want them to or not. Dogs don't seem to get the idea of personal space.

The second thing you may notice about how these animals differ is their eating habits. Cats can be very particular about what they will ingest, from how it smells to the texture, to whether it's hot, cold, or room temperature. Dogs will eat anything, regardless of whether or not the item is even considered food. My vet told me he saw an x-ray of a dog who had eaten an entire string of Christmas lights. I have seen our dog eat some pretty disgusting things and she will happily chew on dirty gray socks that have been sitting in the yard for weeks, other animals' excrement, even days-old mice that have been lying on the driveway in the rain! (I actually had to pry open her jaws, reach in, and grab said decaying animal by the tail to prevent her from actually swallowing it!). Yuck!

The final major difference I'll highlight here is their sociability. Most wild cats, with the exception of lions, are solitary creatures, and I find housecats to be the same. They take care of themselves and prefer their own company. Dogs, on the other hand, love company - especially yours or another dog's. They let you know that they enjoy being with you by following you around from room to room and greeting you enthusiastically when you return from being out. Dogs are highly sociable.

Other differences? In general, dogs: loud; cats: quiet. dogs: large; cats: small. dogs: dirty; cats: clean. Which one do I identify with more? Definitely cats. But do I love them both? I guess I do!


It's the last day of January and I have not finished my first monthly collage. I think if I can finish 3 or 4 by the end of the year, I will have enough to present to a publisher. I can have sketches for the other eight or nine and the poems to go with them. I am finding the writing is easier, probably because you can do it anywhere and don't need any special supplies. Also writing is not as messy as collaging!







No comments: