Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon


The mouse isn't working on our iMac, so I'm blogging from my laptop. I don't have the USB cable hooked up here, so I can't add any new photos at the moment. So I thought I'd give a brief review of Grace Lin's Where the Mountain Meets the Moon. Being that I work in the Youth Services department of my local public library, I like to keep up with all the latest publications, if I can. Also, having three girls ages 9-13, I'm always looking for books to recommend to them. I often find myself wanting to recommend juvenile or young adult fiction to other adults as well, as I think it is usually better written and has more to say than many novels written for adults. Where the Mountain Meets the Moon is one such book. It has the timeless, dreamy quality of a fairy tale, with characters like the Old Man of the Moon, the powerful, proud and fierce Magistrate Tiger, a talking goldfish, a friendly dragon, and the protagonist, Minli who has "shining eyes always eager for adventure." Minli does go on a great adventure from the dull, poor village near Fruitless Mountain, through forests and across rivers and cities to ask the Old Man of the Moon a question. Both Minli and her mother (who remains at home, missing her) learn a great deal about happiness and thankfulness and the book's message is very valid and accessible to readers of all ages. Grace Lin's writing style is graceful, lyrical, gentle, and touching, making the reader's journey thoroughly enjoyable. If you are looking for a book that will make you feel good from beginning to end, pick it up. You'll be thankful that you did!

No comments: