Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

First Steps

Here are a few pics of the first steps of my next project, which is an 8ft long by 18" wide "totem" piece for the FiberArts group I belong to. Of course, I chose an underwater theme and just finished my first element in the piece, this seahorse. He's much larger than the ones I usually make at 18" tall, and it was nice to work on something big for a change. I used burlap again, but this time I painted it and then printed on it with various things to get some additional texture.
Here is the painted burlap for the next seahorse in the piece (there will be three altogether). I used that cardboard to make the prints you see, and then splattered on some bright orange. The bubble wrap and styrofoam tray were used on the seahorse above.
Here are some other fabrics I plan on using in the piece. It's due by April 5th, so I have a little over a month. Hope I can pull it off! I've never made something this long before.
While I'm making good progress there, I also could not completely stop with the charm making! I had this idea for a charm that looked like a bird's nest with eggs in it. I can't remember where I saw something like that, but I searched the internet for tutorials and found one here. After watching it (it's really pretty simple), I made the one below. Isn't it cute? It probably took less than 15 minutes to make. That's why the charms can be so much fun and so satisfying! By the way, is it too soon to start thinking about spring?

1 comment:

Vivien Zepf said...

Good luck, Cindy! I'm hoping to get started on mine this weekend.