Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Candy Houses

Last Wednesday, the library held its annual Gingerbread House decorating program. We provide a plate with 6 graham crackers and an empty ice cream cone and patrons bring their own frosting and candy. Most also bring an empty food carton of some sort to use as a building form. On the afternoon leading up to the event, my colleagues and I each decorate our own little candy houses. Above is my good friend and neighbor, Gail's house. Gail is a powerhouse of positive energy, fun, and laughs, but she claims she is not really artistically inclined. She tends to make many things into a contest and last year was bribing innocent patrons to tell their friends that her candy house was their favorite. This year, we weren't as competitive, but cheered each other on instead. My other co-worker, Joan, and I both agreed that Gail's was our favorite of the three. It reminded us both of the town of Whoville in Dr. Seuss' classic How the Grinch Stole Christmas,especially with that leaning chimney! Don't you agree?

Below is Joan's creation. She really thought outside the box for this one and gave it a hexagonal base. A jewelry lover, she really went overboard on the candy embellishments. Pretty fancy for a bunch of graham crackers, huh? Wow!
And below is my creation. Before Gail and Joan had finished theirs, I was pretty pleased with the peaked roof and the chimney with Santa stuck in there, but now in comparison, I think it looks a little plain. I guess my style is pretty much classic but not ostentatious, do you agree?
If you've never decorated a gingerbread house, get some colorful candy and whip up a batch of royal icing and give it a try!

No comments: