Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

A breakthrough for me?

Today is my first day off from work with no kids at home in a long time.
Of course, I have tons of things to get done like grocery shopping, cleaning, and baking, but I forced myself to sit down at my worktable and do one of my weekly 8x10 sketches. I actually started this a few days ago and haven't been able to make much progress on it. But I just finished it and now I think, maybe I'm onto something here. It combines three basic techniques: raw-edge applique (using fusible webbing), free-motion thread sketching, and ink painting. I think the combo is nice! It highlights the important elements of the picture and allows the background to stay in the background. It's also quicker to do than using all raw-edge, fused applique, and maybe more interesting because of the combination of techniques. I scanned it in before I added the ink painting (to the right) so I could compare it with only a black and white background, but I like the color. Any comments?

1 comment:

Vivien Zepf said...

Cindy, this is FABULOUS! I am so impressed. It looks wonderful. And yes, I agree that the color background is better than just the plain white. Well done! (yep, I'm gushing!)