Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Reality Check

Of course, it did snow on Friday, and the schools were closed, so I had less free time than I thought. But I was able to add one more thing to the sketchbook, a statement I wrote up about fiber art and why I choose that medium. I had to keep it very short, so it took a while to whittle it down word by word, but I did it, and now it's really ready to mail. I thought I might have time to visit the SAQA website and sign up(goal #1), or to start one of my weekly fabric sketches (goal #2) but all I did was prewash and iron the yardage of canvas I plan to cut up and have ready. Here are some other things I did this weekend:
  • Played in the snow! Haven't done that in a long time, but really enjoyed sledding down the hill in the backyard with the girls, the dog, and my hubby
  • Shopped for new snow pants and other snow supplies for myself and my older daughter
  • Packed up all the Christmas things with a lot of help from the fam
  • Baked banana bread
  • Went grocery shopping
  • Did several loads of laundry
AND spent some time revisiting, hand stitching, and embellishing the "conceptual art" quilt I constructed back in September. I always thought it wasn't quite finished but needed a push to make the final decisions about how to finish it. The possibility of entering it in the "made in NY" show at the Schweinfurth gave me the nudge I needed. Below are some detail shots of some areas where I've added hand stitching and embellishments. I think it's even more interesting to look at now, and I think there are more clues to help the viewer understand why I like fabric and how expressive it can be. I'll post another shot of the entire thing when it's all completed. I hope to have it done by Wednesday so I can photograph it and get it on a disc and in the mail by Friday!











No comments: