Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Shopping Spree!


Thursday evening was FANE's monthly meeting and some members brought the pieces they've started for the Fiber Fall group exhibit.  Needless to say, they were suitably awesome and inspiring, so I went home and jazzed up the surface designs I'd started on my discarded placemats.  I fused on scraps of various sheers and prints, giving it a lot more interest and color.  I still need to stitch everything down, and I'm almost out of one of my favorite variegated metallic threads (it mixes pastel hues of blue and pink with a little gold) so today I took a trip down to JoAnn's Fabrics with all my coupons. 

I went straight to the thread section and picked up what I needed there, plus a few extra colors I might need (all at 50% off).  But I'm in fabric stores so infrequently, I had to wander around and see what they had!  For the most part, I repeated my mantra "Use what you have, use what you have," over and over again in my head, but I did make a few unplanned purchases.  Now that Christmas is over, the stores have already started to feature items with spring colors.  Sometimes I wander around the home decor sections of various stores, wishing I could trash everything I own and start all over with fresh new linens, pretty print canvas storage containers, and other tabletop items like these springy birdcages.

I also had fun looking at the display of miniature elf and fairy homes and yard furniture and accessories for them.  Even though winter hasn't even gotten warmed up yet, it's nice to begin thinking about spring!

On a hook nearby, I saw this cheerful floral print gardening apron.  I've been wanting something like this to carry my clippers, trowel, and other tools in - isn't it great?  It would probably make a nice Mother's Day gift, but rather than wait, I decided to go ahead and pick it up.  Can't wait to wear it!

 As you probably know by now, I love the texture of burlap and its rustic, country-garden appeal.  I came across this pretty printed burlap, below.  The subtle shades of mint green, cream, and yellow in the print are so refreshing!  I was trying to dream up a way I could put it to use in my studio - maybe as a curtain, or chair cover.  Even though I'm not sure what I'll do with it, I had to bring home a yard!

 I stopped at the grocery store on the way home, and look what was waiting for me on my way out!  This spectacular double rainbow stretched completely across the sky, with colors so vibrant, they just glowed!

 Now maybe I can use some of my color and home-decor inspiration to spruce up (and clean up!) my workspace a bit!  It's definitely time for a clear-out and overhaul.  It would be great if we'd get a snow day soon.  I'd stay in and get it all done in one day!


1 comment:

Norma Schlager said...

You certainly found some fun things. Love that printed burlap!