My friend Vivien has a point, with her comment on my last post: if I keep working with the level of detail I used in the first two components, it will take me until May to get the whole thing finished! So in the interest of time (as well as recycling and experimentation), I decided to try another approach. When I've made multiple small pieces before, as for swaps, I've made a large piece (painted, stamped, stitched, whatever) and then cut it up into smaller pieces. I thought I might have to do most of these components in that way, then do some with more detail and individuality, the way I did with the first two.
So I dug around in my box of white fabric and found these 12"x18" jacquard placemats I put in there several years ago when I was cleaning out table linens I didn't really use. I like the floral texture that's woven into the fabric and thought it might be nice altered in some way. I used Dy-na-flow acrylic paints by Jacquard (which are concentrated and act a lot like inks) to add bits of color here and there, then stamped with a swirl stamp I made from craft foam. I like the results so far, but may fuse some bits of fabric onto it before I layer it, stitch it, and cut it up. I have 6 or 8 placemats, so I'll do something similar for the back of this section.
Over the weekend, I played with some more weaving of fabric strips, this time in shades of brown. This might possibly be a component in one of my Fiberfall strings, if I stick with the Earth, Air, and Water themes.