Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Lace


The winter preschool programs started up again at the library and I'm working longer, busier hours, so I find I'm a little more worn out at the end of the day.  Still, I managed to complete this piece, which I may title "February Morning," for the Mahopac Library gallery show called "Lace."  The nine squares are all attached, although minimally.  I wanted to leave everything very unstructured so the focus would be on the bits and pieces of lace, not any sashing in between.

Here is a close-up:

This piece will be a challenge to hang, just as the "Bamboo Grove" was.  I will probably use the same method of making a hanging sleeve out of white netting and using a piece of clear acrylic as a slat.  I'll have to give everything a good pressing too (it seems very rumply in this photo), although I wanted the piece to bring to mind lace curtains as well as the morning sun shining through a frosted window, so if it hangs away from the wall a bit, I suppose it will seem more curtain-like.

Anyhoo, this was a fun exercise and it came together pretty quickly, but it distracted me from my Fiber Fall pieces.  Still trying to figure out a shortcut for those.  Maybe if I just dedicate myself to making one segment per day, in about 45 days, they'll be all done...  (Do I have that kind of discipline?  Not sure...  Keep you posted).

No comments: