Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

Kimono Progress


Here's an updated photo of my not-quite-finished, nature-inspired kimono.  In this photo, it's draped over my design board; this is the front of the piece and there's a back that looks about the same.  It still needs a little tweaking here and there (and another sleeve) but for the most part, I'm happy with the color transitions, texture and movement of it.    I think I'm going to call it "Prana (life-force): Mother Nature's Robe."  I was trying to capture the miracle of life emanating from sunlight, transformed with water in plants during photosynthesis, and supporting all life.  Below is a close-up showing a snake hiding in the foliage...

and a yellow feather (to represent birds) towards the top which mixes in with the sunny fabrics.

Here is the dragonfly, perched on what would be the right shoulder.  I plan on hiding a fish tail in the sleeve fabrics on the other side.  I have a small carved frog I'll stitch onto one of the green strips, which will complete the representation of insects, amphibians, reptiles, birds and fish.  Maybe I can suggest mammals somehow too...

It was fun working with such happy colors from my stash and putting them together like a puzzle into the design.   This kimono will be part of a special display at the Northern Star Quilter's Guild's annual show the first weekend in May.  Other FANE group members shared theirs last night at our monthly meeting, and they are all spectacular - it's sure to be a fabulous show, so if you're local, mark your calendars!

1 comment:

Norma Schlager said...

It is magnificent! Wasn't it fun to see all the different interpretations?