Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2011

An Easter Miracle!

I am very surprised and honored to share that the piece pictured here which I call "Affirmation" has been juried into the Sacred Threads 2011 show! I've never shared this piece with anyone because I made it purely for myself. A while back (several years ago) I often caught myself thinking negative thoughts and began to make a conscious effort to change that. I started a routine of walking and read various books with positive affirmations. I came up with this four-part affirmation based on something in a book by Shakti Gawain. It reads "The Light of God surrounds me; the Love of God enfolds me; the Spirit of God dwells withing me; the Power of God flows through me." I used to chant it during my neighborhood walks, to lift my spirits and promote a more positive attitude. I decided to make a sort of illustration or visual representation of it, and this was the result.

I entered it into the Sacred Threads this year because it seemed like a good fit, but only yesterday I revisited their website gallery and felt like maybe it wasn't up to the caliber of work they accept, and maybe my photographs were not professional enough. I was bracing myself for another "declined" but today, after a very busy week preparing for Easter and an even busier day pulling off a big family holiday dinner, I finally had a chance to sit down and check e-mail and lo and behold, an Easter miracle! My first acceptance into a juried show!
I don't have a lot of photos of my preparations over the last ten days - it's mostly been food shopping, planning, making lists, cleaning, and baking. Yesterday my daughters helped me frost and decorate these fun spring cupcakes and on Friday I baked the coconut macaroon bird nests with jelly bean eggs. Together they made a colorful and delicious finish for our Easter dinner (along with some chocolates and a sublime cheesecake baked by my sister-in-law!). Happy Easter, Alleluia, alleluia!


4 comments:

Vivien Zepf said...

Cindy, your quilt is perfect for Sacred Threads! Don't sell yourself short either; it's a strong piece. Congratulations!

my croft said...

Congratulations, Cindy!

(I'm in too. Much to my own surprise and delight.)

Norma Schlager said...

Congratulations, Cindy. It's a beautiful quilt!

Cindy Green said...

Thanks so much, ladies! I really appreciate your support!