Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Making a Fresh Start


It's so easy to get bogged down in the drivel of everyday life, especially in January.  The temperatures have been hovering around zero and that alone is enough to make everything hard!  But the sun is shining, the heat is cranking, and I just had a bowl of hot oatmeal with cinnamon, apples, raisins, and walnuts, so it's time to take a positive step forward.

So what exactly would I like to accomplish this year, as far as art goes?  Here's the list I've been mulling over for the last 3 weeks:
  1. I resolve to complete at least 2 pieces for the FANE group; one with the theme "architectural inspirations" (due in early March) and the other with the theme "opposites" (due in early April).
  2. I resolve to complete at least one other (self-inspired) fiberart piece to share with the group. 
  3. I resolve to begin printing on fabric with my new Epson printer and use the fabric in at least one piece of art.
  4. I resolve to spend a minimum of 5 minutes on art each day.  If I'm not using that time for a specific project, I will doodle, draw, paint, or collage in a journal for a minimum of 5 minutes.  In doing this, I will continue to search for my own artistic voice and experiment with a combination of words and pictures.
  5. I resolve to approach art in a more "process oriented" (and less "product oriented") way, in order to encourage free experimentation with materials and techniques.
  6. I resolve to create some more unique silver charms with what is left of my silver artclay from last year and to include those charms in bracelets to be listed on Etsy or sold at the PAC sale.
  7. I resolve to continue my goal to "accentuate the positve and eliminate the negative" in all areas of my life!
Sometimes I actually think I am a little too goal oriented, which can contribute to stress for myself and my family, so I'm trying to keep things doable and in perspective this year as I did last year.  I'm starting to think if I can master #7, the rest of my entire life will fall into place!  I'm always searching for ways to make things better, and to do that, first you have to see what needs work or what's lacking.  So you start looking for what's lacking, and you're focused on the negative.  Let's see if I can turn that around and make every day a fresh start.

What are your goals and aspirations for the new year?  

No comments: