Pages

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Gift Tag Challenge

Quilting Arts Magazine is sponsoring another challenge, this one for their seasonal "Gifts" issue which comes out in the fall.  Jane Davila brought it to our attention at a recent FANE meeting and encouraged us to take part in the challenge.  The idea is to create a fabric gift tag using one of the templates they supplied and one or more of the colors shown below, chosen by Jane herself.


They're kind of funky colors, very different from the traditional holiday colors.  I wasn't sure if I would have time to create anything before the deadline on the 31st, but the gift tags are only roughly 2"x 3 1/2" and I found myself with a little free time (and the itch to create something!) on a rainy Saturday afternoon, so I decided to go through my stash and see what I had that might fit the bill. 

I dug up this springy looking seersucker that had two of the colors in the pallete, and thought it would be fun to cut a Christmas tree shape out if it.   I had lots of snowy whites that could serve as the background. (Don't you just love a dotted Swiss?).

It was a cute idea, but then I remembered I had a large collection of buttons in that bright lime green.

After playing around with them, I came up with this:

I really like it!  It's not a unique idea (I've seen button trees like this before), but the lime green and pink color scheme makes it a little quirky and fun, don't you think?  I'll send it out to QA on Tuesday and maybe next time I find myself with the itch to create something quick and fun, I'll make some more that I'll really use on presents this Christmas (after the present is opened, it can be hung on the tree - two gifts in one!).

2 comments:

Norma Schlager said...

Very cute! I never got around to doing one. Not sure if I still have time.

Vivien Zepf said...

Adorable! How did you do the hole? I had to cut mine. Eech!