Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Keeping up Spirits

The weather here has been very gray and dreary since my last post, and although I did pretty well thinking positively for the first six weeks of the year, the last few days (and weeks, even!) it's been a challenge. There seems to be bad news everywhere, from gas prices to economic forecasts locally and internationally. I try not to let it get me down, but this week I feel like I've been bombarded from all directions. I'll try to be like those daffodils in the snow, and just keep reaching for the sun and looking forward to brighter days, mud season or no.
At the grocery store this morning, I saw these cute potted daffodils for a good price, so I decided to splurge a bit and brighten the table as well. That put me in the mood for changing the mantle decorations too.
I finally got rid of the (pretty, but out-of-season) Valentine's Day decorations and put up more silk daffodils and other cheerful things. Seems like a breath of fresh air, doesn't it?
I also took the leap and joined the "Springtime in Paris" swap! I tried out a few things that didn't require much time or money and came up with these three designs. I'm not sure which one I like the most - maybe the bead made of rolled grosgrain ribbon and black trim. The other two are made with the same stamp, believe it or not! The middle one was stamped on shrink film with black ink, and the one on the right on polymer clay with a dusting of pewter "perfect pearls" powder. Even though there are no Eiffel Towers or fleur de lis, I think they look French enough, don't you?
I had so much fun making those, I went and made a whole pile! They really go fast and are not too messy if you do them in batches. I already made more than enough to swap, and they're not due until April 1st! Now that I've got that out of my system, I can get back to the seahorses.
I also think I'm in desperate need of some chocolate therapy, despite the fact that it's Lent! I baked these yummy Ghirardelli brownies this afternoon. Now the house smells delicious and things are starting to look up...
Have a great weekend!

No comments: