Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Finishing up 2009

Thought I would get in one last post this year. Here is the (nearly) finished Waterlilies piece I created at the request of my mother-in-law. I started it in October and worked on the quilting during that month. I have to admit, with this piece, I spent so much time with my seam ripper, I decided to give it a name! (I named him Jack; I think that's appropriate -get it? - Jack the Seam ripper!). I redid the quilting, or portions of it, more than once, and also had to redo part of the binding. Another thing that slowed me down was choosing the border fabric. I bought one fabric, then wasn't sure, and kept shopping at various stores up until last week, when I decided I'd better just make a decision and finish this! I think I bought four different fabrics in all. I ended up going with my first choice after all, and I'm happy with it. Yesterday I added a few sequins for sparkle and I still have to add the sleeve for hanging and label on the back. I hope my inlaws will be able to take it with them when they leave on Sunday. My mother-in-law seemed very happy with the final result. She plans to hang it over their bed. I think the oval shapes which appear to float over the surface and the calming color scheme are appropriate for a bedroom. Here are a few detail shots of the piece:


















I have been thinking about the past year's accomplishments and contemplating goals for 2010 - I'll share that with you next post!

2 comments:

Vivien Zepf said...

What a lovely piece! Great use of different fabrics (what did you use as the interior of the lilies?) and I love the little catches of gold in the water. Are those stitched on or created with paint sticks? The koi is totally cool, too, coming up to kiss the surface! It's no wonder your MIL is pleased!

Cindy Green said...

Hey, Viv, thanks! The interiors of the lilies are an ivory lace curtain fabric. Whatever the light catches in the water must be the metallic thread, or some of the sequins and beads. And I actually didn't intend that to be a koi, although it does look like it in this photo. I intended it to be just a splash of light off the water, and it was the one part of the piece I wasn't sure worked! Thanks for the comments!