Pages

Friday, June 21, 2013

Celebrating Summer



The first day of summer!  It's always been one of my favorite days of the year.  It's such a great feeling to open your eyes on that morning, take a deep breath, and savor the anticipation of long sunny days ahead, without alarm clocks, school buses, homework, or tests until September!  My youngest got off the bus with a big grin on her face yesterday.  The other two finished their tests earlier in the week so we've been hosting sleepovers and hot-tub parties, and making numerous trips to the movie theater and back again.  They have a few weeks of unstructured fun time before camp (and my summer library programs) start up again on July 8th.

We've had perfect weather here all week with bright clear blue skies, lots of puffy clouds floating through on the breeze, and cool comfortable evenings and nights.

Our yard is showing off all it's summer colors, from our very vigorous climbing rose (don't you just love a climbing red rose on a white fence?)...


...the the wild daisies which have sprung up here and there in the yard, and the small sweet strawberries ripening near the front lawn.

Yesterday I finally dug our little froggy birdbath fountain out of the shed and put him in his spot on the lawn (he cleverly covers the well pipe that sticks up there!).  He makes me smile every time I see him!

Other signs that summer is here: this box of winter hats and gloves has been stashed appropriately in the closet...

...and our favorite roomy beach carryall has taken it's place!  I try to keep it packed with towels, a beach blanket, and sunscreen so it's ready at a moment's notice.

I'm still working away at the new garden below in our yard, slowly carving up the space into planting beds which will be separated by a pebbled path and maybe some stepping stones.  I hope to get down there tomorrow to finish the path and maybe we can get some pebbles to fill it next week.  I also have a big "focal point" in the works, but I'll save that for another post.  I'm really excited about it and hope it all comes together as I've imagined!

For now, I'm going to take a little breather, have some lunch on the back deck, maybe chill out in the shade with a good book and a glass of lemonade, and listen to the gentle sound of my latest deck-oration:

- this charming seahorse fountain my husband found at the home improvement store.  Isn't he cute?  He'd be great in the new garden, but he's electric and there's no outlet that far away from the house.  I wonder if there are solar powered outlets (and whether we get enough sun down there to power one)?  Anyway, he partially hides the wiring for the hot tub and brings a little whimsy to the deck!

Happy first day of summer!

No comments: