Finally, over the weekend, I couldn't stand how messy and out of control they all seemed. I started by clipping some goldenrod that had found their way into the mess, then trimmed back the weeping cherry and the azealeas beneath it. Then I tackled the cedars. I'd been thinking all these years that it was just one big trunk under all that foliage, but there were about 6 smaller trunks. I cut off just one or two at first, but then ended up removing an entire plant. Below is my pile of clippings!
Just goes to show you what you can accomplish with a few simple tools, a little determination, and an afternoon of hard work!