Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Where have I been?


May and June seem to be almost as busy for me as November and December, with many end-of-school activities, ceremonies, field trips, and commitments. I continued to work on those little 4x4 pieces, but cannot post more due to swap rules! They are fun to do and can be squeezed in whenever I find myself with a few free minutes in the afternoon or evening. I now have 12 completed - the original paper-fabric is all cut up and I am gearing up to make a new piece. Last time I had made my quilt sandwich and done some preliminary quilting before I realized I wanted to try adding texture by rubbing Shiva paintstiks over a textured surface, but of course I couldn't because of the layers, so this time, I may try adding that additional step.
Despite a busy spring, we were able to get away for a few days at the end of June to our family "country house" in the Poconos of Pennsylvania. I had the opportunity to canoe on the lake there with my Dad - it was a beautiful morning and so uplifting to be gliding over the water, with only the swish of the paddles and the singing of birds to accompany us.

While I was there, I also took some photos for a possible larger wall hanging (requested by my mother-in-law - how can I refuse?), similar to the "lakeside irises" piece shown on a previous entry. I would be setting myself up for comparisons to Monet and his waterlilies, but who can compare to Monet? I haven't the foggiest idea how I would approach this...I am considering using the torn paper technique I explored last month or even painting something on a whole piece of cloth and using stitching and embellishments for detail work. I'll have to think about it some more...




No comments: