Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Take time to...


...Stop and smell the roses... and the poppies, and the irises! Here are some of the flowers in bloom in our garden right now. I value these particularly because they take little or no work, but bloom faithfully every year and bring us great color and enjoyment. I am also including a photo of one of my first art quilts, completed in 2005, of the large purple irises in the photo. I don't think I've ever posted that quilt, which is also one of the biggest and most challenging quilts I've ever done. I enjoyed adding fabrics like velvet and flannel to give the petals that soft texture, using a sheer polyester to make the swan's reflection, and stitching on sequins and beads to make the water sparkle. It is still one of my favorite pieces and guests always comment on it.












These smaller irises
are particularly special because I did not plant them! I have no idea where they came from - they look like they've been growing there a while, hiding out among the day lillies, and I didn't notice them until they started to grow flower stalks. How nice is that!

2 comments:

Nancy Cusumano said...

Those are Siberian Irises, and they are gorgeous. I have a bunch, too. They may have seeded themselves, or come from somewhere. They can be divided, too.

Cindy Green said...

Yeah, and they looked pretty nice until I rolled over them with the car! (That's the kind of week I had last week - get a nice gift out of nowhere and I accidentally wreck it!). Actually, only part of the plant was damaged, most of the flowers were okay. I should probably divide it or put it somewhere else (a little further away from the driveway!!!)